|Thank you to Nigel Anderson for this picture|
|Thanks to Billy Rodgers & Carrickfergus Friends of 36th for this picture|
Hamel Military Cemetery was begun by fighting units and Field Ambulances in August 1915, and carried on until June 1917. A few further burials were made in Plot II, Row F, after the capture of the village in 1918. It was known at times by the names of "Brook Street Trench" and "White City". It was enlarged after the Armistice by the concentration of 48 graves from the immediate neighbourhood.
There are now nearly 500, 1914-18 war casualties commemorated in this site. Of these, nearly 80 are unidentified and special memorials are erected to four soldiers from the United Kingdom known or believed to be buried among them. A number of French and German military graves have been removed to other burial grounds.
The cemetery covers an area of 2,235 square metres, without including the public right of way on the North side and is enclosed by a rubble wall.